Friday, August 22, 2008

It's not easy being green































When I was little I remember watching my Grandma Allen hang clothes on the clothesline. We loved it when she washed sheets because we could hide behind them and make outdoor rooms to play in.  I actually hang quite a few clothes to dry in my laundry room. I do this more for shrinkage and long torso issues than saving electricity. Yesterday Derek helped me install a retractable clothesline outside. I don't know why, but I am so excited about it. I found a great little bag to hold my clothes pins at Kmart.(Thankyou Martha!) I couldn't wait to google the cost of running my dryer per load. I was sure my carbon imprint was getting smaller. 35 to 40 cents per load?? I have to admit I was a little disappointed. What about my time and effort? How much is that worth? But when I thought about how happy I was when the clothes were dry in 45 minutes, and how they looked blowing in the hot August breeze, I felt like it was worth it.
After telling Lindsay about my great new exploits in laundry she said, "Mom you are a nerd."  

3 comments:

Erica said...

No nerd here! I am inspired. Did you hang them out of your deck or the lower one? I wish I was more green...I want a cruiser bike with a basket to do my errands on.

Pam said...

I put it on the ground floor. The best thing is that it is retractable so when I am done it winds up and you can hardly see it. A few things I have learned so far-hang your shirts upside down so they don't have pinch marks on the shoulders, and it is best to dry your towels in the dryer. It is worth the 35 cents because even with fabric softener they are rrrrrough!

Jocelyn said...

Pam, you are awesome! I have always loved that nostalgic, Norman Rockwell vision of laundry hanging on the line. How cool of Derek to do that for you.